Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Just Finished

First of all, Happy New Year to all.  I hope all your quilting resolutions are achieved, especially if it includes a tile quilt!

Last spring I had the pleasure to attend a reunion of sorts with a group of quilting friends who have shared many good times together in many places but mostly in a sewing room at a quilt retreat at Point Bonita, just north of the Golden Gate.  Some of us will be back there at the end of this month.  The spring gathering was in Nebraska at the lovely Lied Lodge in Nebraska City.  On the way back to the airport to drop off those who had flown in for the retreat, we stopped at The Quilt Shoppe in Stewartsville, Missouri for one last shopping opportunity.  I gathered up a group of fat quarters that were nicely arranged and for some reason spoke to me.  I don't usually do "cute" but these seemed to be a more sophisticated cute!  For a change, when I got home instead of just putting these fabrics in my stash, I kept them together and finally found time to do something with them.  Here is the result.



I'm calling it Sweet Shoppe. The fabrics include cakes, teacups, crowns, roses and other flowers, and some words in French. 

I've loved the Winding Ways pattern for a long time.  I think it's the way the blocks create the interlocking larger circles though in the case of this small quilt with only 9 blocks there is only one full circle.  Several years ago I purchased a set of ARDCO metal templates from Quiltsmith, Ltd. http://www.ardcotemplates.com/ in Poquoson, Virginia in the 6'' block size. The templates are available in several sizes.  I found the templates very useful and the accompanying instructions very helpful in assembling the quilt blocks. Someday perhaps I'll get around to making a larger quilt, maybe with larger blocks, but I think the pattern worked well with these fabrics.

The quilt is 23 1/2 '' square and is hand quilted.

No comments: