Thursday, May 3, 2012

Nite Owl Quilters

I had a great time in Rancho Cucamonga last week at the Nite Owl Quilters Guild.

 Before I gave my lecture on Tile Quilts, Jan Raymond came up to show me her fabulous version of the Lotus quilt from our book. Here is the quilt and a picture of Jan looking proud -- as she should!



 

And, at the workshop on Saturday, Kerri showed me a beautiful Crazy Quilt she made.  There is a theory that the original antique tile quilts from the late 19th century were a precursor of the Crazy Quilt style.  Kerri thinks this is the case.  I say could be, could not be.  We'll never really know but it's fun to think about.   Here is Kerri and her beautiful quilt.  She incorporated some antique ribbons, images of some antique cards she had transferred to cloth, her own hand-dyed fabrics and her fancy decorative stitching, which was amazing.

 
And in the workshop we had a wonderful array of fabrics and choice of blocks including an original design.  I always love to see stars!  Again, you have to imagine the "grout" between the pieces with the exception of the second block.


Here are blocks from Lotus.

This block was fused and will be machine buttonhole stitched around the edges of the pieces so you get to see how it looks with the "grout" spaces.











And, finally, some Orange Peel blocks from Starry Orange Peel.







No comments: